Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Good 'n easy, yet completely fabulous fall dinner!

5 Bean Soup.

Just brown a pound of grd beef and throw in a crock-pot.  Literally ;)
Add 5 can's of your favorite beans, juices and all.
Add about a cup or so water depending on whether you feel like a stew or more of a soup.  I added about 2-1/2 cups.
Finish w/ a bit under 1/4 C of taco seasoning.  I get the big bottles of this stuff at Costco.
Stir and let cook on low for at least 4 or 5 hours.
Just delicious.


Photobucket

Make these to have with,  and you just might find yourself with some company for dinner.

Photobucket

I am a biscuit snob.  My family has no objections to this particular quirk.
This truly was an exceptional recipe for buttermilk biscuits.  These were really easy and there's no shortening called for,  just unsalted butter that you shave in.  I used a potato peeler.  I then used my pastry blender

Photobucket


to cut the butter into the flour mixture just right.    Make sure the butter is very cold,  just from the refrigerator.
Oh,  and buttermilk is very important.  Buy the best you can find.

I have to wonder, is there really anything better than a delicious buttermilk biscuit, hot from the oven, with butter and honey?  Or, as the hubby likes 'em, butter and blackberry jam.

I could of easily titled this post, "why I run." :)


PhotobucketRecipe can be found in Great Coffee Cakes by Carole Walter

Ooops, I forgot to mention how good a few Frito chips are lightly crushed in the bottom of the bowl before you pour your soup/stew on!

Also, special thanx to Beverly Martinez for the recipe idea!

No comments: